Monday, April 9, 2012

HOUSTON....WE'VE GOT A PROBLEM.....

We don't really.  Well, maybe we do, I'm not there.


But I was last week.  It was lovely, as usual.  It's starting to feel like home away from home, I know the doormen by name.  My driver hugs me hello and goodbye, and the waiter at my fave evening haunt knows what I drink.

This time, we broke tradition.  Well, 'we' didn't, Mark did. He actually took Thursday afternoon off!! Amazing.  This was huge.  I didn't notice the world stopped spinning, did you all?

I know, I know, snarkyness is unattractive....

Anyway, we went to the King Tut exhibit at the Houston Museum of Fine Art. It was AWESOME!  I'd always regretted not seeing Tut's treasures when they visited Chicago years ago.  And as much as I'd like to go to Egypt, I don't think the climate is right for American's at the moment, so that trip is unlikely.  But...last month when I was in Houston, riding the Light Rail to the Rodeo, the sign caught my eye, and now,  I've been.  And it was tremendous.


That Tut, (funky Tut) he had some extremely cool stuff.  Gorgoeus gold jewels, and some unbelievably cool gold sandals (we all know what a shoe girl I am).  Now, ladies, I'm not talking gold lame... I'm talking SOLID GOLD.  (they made an impression).

The carving in the statues was so tremendous. Their burial, was a major production.  They started LONG before they even thought about dying, preparing their tombs.   It's hard to fathom how old this stuff is, and how amazingly preserved it all is.  Tut's bed was there, with the woven rush bottom, still intact on his very thin wooden bed.   A bit of white paint still visible.  Actually a lot of things had original paint still visible.  I could go on and on...

Other than that, we did a dueling piano bar... always a good time.  Although, not everyone was having a good time, the couple at the table in front of us had a big fight, and she attempted to storm off... she was way wobbly on her too high heels, so it lost some impact.  Just saying'

I hit up Macy's - my only shopping venue within walking distance of the apartment.  Of course I managed to find a couple needful things.

Another great week in Houston,


 in spite of the fact that Steve Martin and 'that song' kept running through my head,  I was even humming it... da da da.......

AAARRRGGHHHH now it's starting again...


"now when I die...don't think that I'm a nut... don't want no fancy funeral...just one like old King Tut"...

I am, after all, a Funeral Director's daughter....





some pictures courtesy of Post Rice; Tut Exhibit

1 comment:

  1. Well it;s about time for a post! Had me in stitches as usual! I bet Tut's jewels were amazing...ummm, that didn't come out right...eeh!

    ReplyDelete