Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti...

I am so very sad for the people of Haiti, what a terrible nightmare. I was once in Haiti- it is a poverty stricken country- and now this. I was only there briefly, a cruise stop- but came away realizing once again how we are so lucky to live in the USA.

It's hard to fathom what these poor people are going through. We are here in our comfortable lives, lucky, and relatively safe. I actually had the audacity to be crabby today because I was out for recess and it was bone chilling, damp and I wasn't in the mood. Hello??? Wasn't in the mood. What was I thinking? How dare I be so selfish?

There are many different ways you can donate - perhaps the easiest way is to text "Haiti" to 90999 to give $10 to the Red Cross. I understand it will be on your next phone bill. I haven't tried it yet, but I am going to as soon as I'm done with this.

There is also a blogger, I ran across, who has set up a website called Hope for Haiti - they going to sponsor giveaways to raise money to support the people of Haiti. I am sure there are many, many more places to donate, through churches and other charities.

We all need to reach out to help these people, and to appreciate what we have and where we live.

And I need to stop complaining about stupid things like cold recess duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment